Leaving the village for the big smoke!

The mundane routine I expected every day was blown away on my last couple of days. We had goats in the classroom, my flip flops mode from outside the classroom I a house in he village, a thunderstorm that lasted most of the day, a bike ride on the most rickety uncomfortable bikes on the dustiest and stoniest roads into town with two girls as passengers perched on the back. This was the source of much laughter with and at us westerners!! I found it so hard the first time I just said I’d run to the village, good triathlon training! The storm started when we were on our way in to the village, the lightening was amazing, right across the horizon! Panicked ourselves thinking we’d get struck by lightening with the bikes! Although my mum later reminded me the rubber tyres would of saved us!
The schools being on holidays meant there’s no homework to help with so we planned various activities instead. And I’ve really settled in to this quiet, simple life just as I’m about to leave. Always the way. Saying goodbye to the village kids was hard, they genuinely seemed sad I was leaving. Maybe all my different resources were fun for them?
As a goodbye from me to the orphans I made banana fritters for the orphans and many girls helped me. First time I’d ever made them so learning curve indeed!! I bought as donated some clothes for them that mummy handed out. My t shirts that I have worn in three continents have now gone to new homes. And we had fizzy drinks with dal baht for dinner. Fun last day indeed including another bike ride into town with girls sitting on the back. I mastered it this time and we were much quicker.
Aussie boy has become a hermit. Doesn’t really help unless you mother him and tell him what to do, often skulks off into his room! Although has now been very ill over night twice in a week which must be horrid. Doesn’t interact with kids much so may have a long few weeks. Aussie girl and I have bonded over his lack of use of Aussie boy. Had a fun last few ways with my roomy.
Mummy of the home returned as well in my last few days so normality returned for routines though.
My journey home was with three of the orphans who are off to the capital for a bit of a holiday, so a 5.45am get up, taxi awaiting us. I held back the tears, the dog was whining as I said goodbye which nearly set me off crying! I’d said goodbye to most girls the night before, gave two of the youngsters a book from England to read and practice their english. Although Noah’s ark retrospectively maybe not the best choice for a Hindu country! Girls very thankful for them and I wrote a message in them so they remember who gave them to them.
So as we drive away through villages turning into towns, motor vehicles once more dominating the roads, dogs sleeping it watching the world go by, rubbish burning by the roadside (this is their waste disposal system), people washing the road in front of the house to stop the dust, music from wave the flag, we are sailing to Nepalese heavy metal playing, hoping my stomach is being toned up by the make shift ‘tenns’ machine that is the cars/minibuses driving over the bumps, and the sun shining bright my mind wanders over this amazing experience! It’s not what I planned to do, I was annoyed that it wasn’t when I arrived but now I’m so pleased I have had this experience.
The nepalease have some horrid habits, spitting, blowing their nose by blowing it out on the ground, they beat their dogs, many talk at too loudly and you can tell the wealthy from the poor by their waist line. However they work bloody hard, they live with very little such as no guarantee of electricity or running water. They live off the land, they play outside, they are very friendly and welcome you warmly. Nothing is broken, it all just needs some TLC. Mode of transport is usually push bike and having been on one they are tough machines to work especially on the dusty roads and with a passenger seated on the back. Horns are not used in anger but merely to let others know you are there for their safety. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this part of my Nepalese adventure! I’ll miss the serenity of he village, the sunrise and sunset, the birds singing, the noticeably quiet airspace and roads, the kids (baby goats that is) trotting and leaping by the roads, the children and their smiley faces, village kids desperate for your attention, everyone speaking to you as the only whites in the village, but I don’t think I’ll miss the dal baht, as stable a diet it is, I’m looking forward even if only briefly before the trek, to some western food, a toilet with a seat and a warm shower!
We arrive in Kathmandu having taken a local mini bus full of locals, then dropped off on the roadside. Straight away taxi men desperate for my custom and chatting the girls up!
Our taxi came and they went to the host house for two of them it was their first time in the capital, how exciting.
I went off to my posh hotel. I arrive and it is luxury. Comfy bed, a hot shower was delightful, a normal toilet, a pool too!!
My next adventure begins now!!






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s